Why Do You Need a Wrongful Death Attorney?
Losing a loved one is always hard. But when it happens due to someone else’s negligence – or worse, if someone intentionally killed your family member – it can be even more difficult.
When this happens, it’s essential to hire a wrongful death attorney to represent your case and help you get the compensation you and your family are owed.
What Is a Wrongful Death Case?
Wrongful death is defined as when someone causes another person’s death due to negligence or intentional actions.
When this happens, the victim’s family or estate can file a wrongful death lawsuit against the person who is responsible for the death. In most cases, a representative of the deceased’s estate will file a suit on behalf of the family. The lawsuit will seek compensation for money lost by the person’s untimely death, including lost wages, medical bills, funeral expenses, lost benefits, and more.
Filing a wrongful death case can also help the family get closure and feel like the person is being held responsible for the death.
When You Need a Wrongful Death Attorney
How do you know if you have a wrongful death case? If your loved one died due to one of the following situations, you should hire an attorney to file a case:
- Car Accident Where the Driver Was Negligent
If a car accident was caused by a driver’s negligence, such as drunk driving or reckless driving, you may have a wrongful death case.
- Medical Malpractice that Resulted in Death
While we trust doctors with our lives, sometimes they make mistakes. If a misdiagnosis, treatment error, or failure to diagnose a condition correctly results in a person’s death, you can file a wrongful death suit against the provider. In these cases, it’s usually necessary to find an expert medical professional to testify as to what should have been done.
- Drug Error by the Pharmacy
When you pick up a prescription from a pharmacist, you trust that the medication and the dosage are correct. Unfortunately, pharmacists can make mistakes. If the death occurred due to someone receiving the wrong medication, or if someone wasn’t alerted to a fatal interaction between drugs, then it could be a wrongful death case.
Benefits of Hiring a Wrongful Death Attorney
When your loved one dies due to someone else’s negligence, there are several benefits to hiring a wrongful death attorney to pursue a case. Some advantages are:
- An experienced attorney knows the ins and outs of wrongful death suits: Wrongful death cases require expertise to know when a case qualifies as wrongful death, how to file it, what evidence is needed, and what damages to seek for your family’s compensation. A wrongful death lawyer is experienced in this and knows what it will take to win your case.
- A wrongful death attorney knows how to work with insurance companies: Part of filing a wrongful death suit is dealing with insurance companies. They might try to settle with you for less than the compensation you are seeking. It’s important to have an expert on your side who knows when an offer is too low, and when to accept it.
- An attorney can get your family what it’s owed: A wrongful death attorney knows how to seek and get the maximum damages you are owed. A lawyer will know what evidence to present to get you what you want.
If you lost a loved one due to wrongful death, contact the attorneys at Gallagher & Kennedy at 602-530-8400. We care about our clients and are committed to using our skills, work ethic, and resources to help you or your family obtain compensation and justice.