Phoenix Catastrophic Injury Attorneys
A Phoenix catastrophic injury lawyer understands a severe injury imposes more than just physical pain on the victim. As a survivor of a very serious injury, you could face permanent disabilities, disfigurement, and lost enjoyment of life.
You may incur millions of dollars in lifetime medical debts, lost job opportunities, and broken relationships. You may irrevocably lose your independence because of someone else’s negligence or recklessness, and a catastrophic personal injury lawyer can help.
If you or someone you love sustained a catastrophic injury because of another person’s carelessness or misconduct, you may hold that party legally accountable for your damages.
A successful claim with help of our Phoenix personal injury lawyers at Gallagher & Kennedy could result in a payout for your lifelong medical bills, pain, suffering, and many other losses. Contact our Phoenix catastrophic injury lawyers today to discuss the possibility of a lawsuit. Initial consultations for serious injury lawsuits are free.
Why Choose Gallagher & Kennedy?
Many law firms handle injury claims in the Phoenix area, but not all of them have the resources and experience to take on catastrophic injury clients.
Consider the following about our highly skilled legal team at Gallagher & Kennedy:
- We have over 210 years of collective experience representing personal injury victims in Arizona.
- We not only stand up for clients’ rights, but we also push for institutional changes.
- Our personal injury law firm has directly influenced new laws, policies, and practices in Arizona.
- We address the concern of how much legal services will cost by offering them primarily on a contingency fee basis. If we do not obtain a recovery, there is no fee for the client.
What a Phoenix Catastrophic Injury Lawyer Can Do for You
Pursuing a lawsuit might be the last thing on your mind while you are in the hospital recovering from catastrophic injuries. Yet if someone else caused the accident that hurt you, you may qualify for significant financial compensation. A lawsuit against the at-fault party could help you front the costs of your medical treatments and other monetary losses during this difficult time.
Hiring a Phoenix injury attorney lets you explore your legal opportunities without handling a lawsuit alone. You can focus on your recovery while a serious injury attorney takes care of your financial one. No insurance company or defendant can take advantage of you when a Phoenix severe injury lawyer represents you.
Causes of Catastrophic Injuries in Phoenix
While Phoenix is a great place to live and visit, there are risks of severe injuries everywhere you turn.
Even if you are careful and safe, you can suffer life-changing injuries in:
- Semi-truck accidents on I-10, I-17, or U.S. Route 60
- Pedestrian accidents at 27th Avenue and Camelback Road or 67th Avenue and Indian School Road
- Drunk driving accidents in Old Town Scottsdale, Downtown Phoenix, or on Mill Avenue in Tempe
- Boating accidents at Lake Pleasant or Canyon Lake
- Bicycle accidents in one of the city’s 600 miles of bike lanes
- Accidents due to defective products or dangerous premises
No matter what caused your catastrophic injury, always have our attorneys evaluate whether you deserve compensation from a liable party.
What Qualifies as a Catastrophic Injury?
A catastrophic injury is more severe than a typical sprain, strain, or tear. It is worse than a bruise or scrape. Catastrophic injuries fundamentally change the lives of survivors, imposing long-term or permanent damages. If an injury forces you to stay home from work, pay for expensive medical treatments, accommodate a disability, or change the way you live, it most likely qualifies as catastrophic.
Some injuries that have this type of severe impact on a victim’s life include:
- Multiple bone fractures
- Spinal cord fracture
- Skull or brain injuries
- Loss of limb
- Loss of organ function
- Vision or hearing loss
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Wrongful death
An insurance company, judge, or jury will typically award more damages to a victim who suffered a catastrophic injury. Calculating awards such as punitive damages or pain and suffering have a lot to do with how much the injury impacted the victim’s life. Catastrophic injuries often inflict severe and permanent harm, leading to a higher settlement or judgment award for the victim or their family.
Seeking Compensation for Your Catastrophic Injury
When you have a catastrophic injury, you might spend time in a hospital. Bills will pile up fast, you might miss work, and will likely experience pain and suffering. You will begin to wonder where to turn to seek compensation for your injuries and losses.
You will likely need to file insurance claims against the parties responsible for causing your injuries, which might include:
- Property owners
- Other individuals
- Private schools or daycares
- Medical professionals
- Manufacturing companies
- Government entities
You need the right attorney to identify all liable parties (there might be multiple) and prepare and file the appropriate claims. Your claim will need to demonstrate that a policyholder shares liability for your injuries, as well as the value of your losses for which you need compensation.
Insurance claims are more challenging than most people imagine, and you have an uphill battle when seeking full compensation for catastrophic losses. Insurance companies will minimize your losses, challenge liability, and take other steps to reduce their liability.
When you have a lawyer handling your claim, it means several things:
- Your lawyer handles all communications with insurance adjusters so you do not have to worry about saying the wrong thing.
- Your lawyer can identify when a settlement offer is too low and negotiate a higher offer.
- The insurance company knows it cannot use the same tactics and tricks on an experienced legal professional.
- If the insurance adjuster fails to make a fair offer, your lawyer can escalate the matter by filing a lawsuit in civil court.
Not only does a lawyer take the weight off your shoulders, but they make it much easier for you to receive full compensation, which is extensive for catastrophic injuries.
Wrongful Death Following a Catastrophic Injury
Catastrophic injuries are severe and often life-threatening. Many people receive proper life-saving treatment in time to stabilize their condition and eventually leave the hospital. However, not everyone is so fortunate. Accidental injuries are a leading cause of death in the United States for all age groups, and many of these catastrophic injuries stem from preventable accidents.
It is devastating to learn that a close family member died due to an accidental injury. Not only will your family experience severe grief and emotional pain, but you also must deal with the financial and practical consequences of the death.
This can include:
- Losing financial support if the deceased helped provide for the household
- Missing out on household services, including childcare, cleaning, lawn care, and more
- Lost advice, companionship, love, and care
- Funeral and burial service expenses
- Covering medical expenses for life-saving treatment before their death
When someone dies from a catastrophic injury, they cannot bring a legal claim for personal injury. This does not mean the negligent party gets away without any liability, however. Instead, the law allows close family members to file a wrongful death claim to seek damages.
If a catastrophic injury due to someone else’s negligence leads to the death of a loved one, contact our Phoenix wrongful death lawyers.
Phoenix Catastrophic Injury FAQs
How much can you get for a catastrophic injury?
The value of injury claims varies from case to case.
Your attorney will calculate your losses, including:
- Past medical bills
- Medication and medical equipment costs
- Home health care expenses
- Estimated costs of future medical care you need
- Lost income and benefits
- Future lost earnings if you cannot work
- Physical and mental pain and suffering
- Permanent disfigurement and disabilities
What should you do after a catastrophic injury?
First, always get the medical treatment you need. This might include an ambulance ride and hospital stays. Never let the cost of medical care stop you from getting a diagnosis and starting treatment, as it can be the difference between life and death. Prompt medical care can also make your injury claim simpler, as you now have records of your injuries.
Next, always seek help from a Phoenix catastrophic injury lawyer. An experienced personal injury attorney can determine how best to proceed to protect your rights and will handle every aspect of your case.
Contact a Phoenix Catastrophic Injury Lawyer Today
Serious injuries can occur in motor vehicle accidents, truck accidents, workplace incidents, falls, fires, violent attacks, and many other scenarios. If you or a loved one recently suffered a serious injury in Arizona, contact Gallagher & Kennedy for a free consultation about your future.
Our Phoenix catastrophic injury attorneys can fight against the at-fault party during insurance settlement negotiations or a personal injury lawsuit. Request your free injury case review at (602) 530-8400.
“Professional and determined, GK and Austin Kurtz we’re a delight to work with. I’ve worked with several other top firms in town over the years and have had the best overall experience with GK.”
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ -Hunter R.
Read more of our Google Reviews!
Gallagher & Kennedy – Phoenix Office
2575 E Camelback Rd, Suite 810
Phoenix, AZ 85016
Tel: (602) 530-8400