Big Rig Accident? Follow These 5 Steps
Big rig accidents can be extremely serious, and in some cases, fatal. If you or a loved one is severely injured in a semi-truck crash, you may be eligible to collect compensation for your losses. The catastrophic injury attorneys at Gallagher & Kennedy, P.A. can help you obtain damages from those who are responsible for causing the accident that led to your injuries.
Legal cases involving semi-trucks can be complicated. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, Highway Loss Data Institute, various state and federal regulations govern these trucks and their drivers, so they are subject to different standards than most drivers of motor vehicles. If you are injured in this type of accident, you should take all measures to ensure that you receive proper compensation for the losses that you have suffered.
As a result, protecting your rights following a big rig accident is crucial. You can take the initiative to safeguard your legal rights after an accident involving a semi-truck by taking a few simple steps.
- Call 911. You need to notify local law enforcement authorities that an accident has occurred. They will be responsible for completing and filing the official police report concerning the accident. A police report is an essential piece of evidence if you have a claim for property damage or personal injuries following an accident.
- Get medical treatment. Calling 911 can enable you and anyone else involved in the accident to get emergency medical treatment as needed. However, you may not always feel like you need medical treatment immediately after an accident. Some injuries do not become noticeable until hours or even days after an accident. Be sure to follow up and get medical treatment as needed to document your symptoms and injuries.
- Gather evidence about the accident. If you can, gather as much evidence about the accident as possible. Take pictures of the accident scene. Get the names, contact information, and insurance information for all drivers involved in the accident. Get the names and contact information for other people who were involved in or witnessed the accident. Write down as much as you can remember about the accident as soon as possible, when your memory is still fresh.
- Don’t give a statement or sign anything. In many cases, the insurance company for the trucking company or the other driver will contact you and want you to give a recorded statement about the accident. If you do so, you risk inadvertently saying something that could hurt your case. Likewise, they may try to get you to accept a quick settlement offer. Never accept a settlement without speaking with your lawyer first.
- Get legal advice from a personal injury lawyer. Always contact an experienced Phoenix big rig accident lawyer before accepting a settlement offer or speaking with the other party’s insurance company. Your attorney can help you understand your rights and how to gather the evidence that you need to support your claim. Together, you can work toward a settlement in your case that truly represents the value of your losses from your accident.
Talk to Us Today About Your Legal Needs Following a Big Rig Accident
Gallagher & Kennedy, P.A. is here to help accident victims and their families following any type of catastrophic accident. Our Phoenix catastrophic injury lawyers represent individuals and their families so that they receive compensation from those who are responsible for causing their injuries. Together, we can determine the best course of action in your case and work to get you the relief you are seeking. Contact our offices to schedule a consultation today at 602-530-8400 or reach out to us online.