8 Common Types of Defective Auto Parts
Defective auto parts are a serious safety concern. When you get into your car each day, you trust that it is designed and built properly to function correctly and keep you safe. But what happens when there’s a defect? This can lead to an accident, which can injure you or those in another vehicle on the road. If you or a loved one are in an accident caused by defective auto parts, contact our experienced auto defect attorneys for the advice and guidance you need.
Common Defective Auto Parts
Although any auto part could contain a defect that causes a car accident, there are a few defective parts that commonly cause severe crashes. You probably have heard in the news of auto recalls and large settlements resulting from defective auto parts that cause car wrecks.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, some of the most common safety-related defective auto parts are:
1. Steering: If the systems that control the steering ability in your vehicle fail, you will not be able to operate the vehicle correctly and safely.
2. Airbags: You depend on your airbags to protect you in case of a crash. However, if these do not deploy, then you could face serious injuries.
3. Seats: If your seats don’t stay in place, or if the seat belts don’t tighten properly, it can result in injuries.
4. Fuel system: If your fuel system fails, it can result in leaks, which could put you at risk of fires and serious burns if you’re in an accident.
5. Wheels: When a tire blows, it can be scary for the driver. You might hear it blowout, or feel a bump, or even start to lose control over the vehicle. A defective tire can lead to serious accidents.
6. Windshield wipers: While your windshield wipers might seem like a minor part of your car, you still rely on them working properly to keep you safe on the roadways. Without a clear windshield you may not be able to see the other cars around you, or obstacles in the roadways.
7. Accelerator: You need your accelerator to help you speed up to keep with the flow of traffic, but what happens when it malfunctions? If it sticks or stops working, it can put you in a dangerous situation on the roadways. Not being able to control your speed can be scary for you, and can potentially lead to an accident. This is especially dangerous if the accelerator sticks, and you are unable to slow down or stop your vehicle.
8. Engine cooling fan blades: While this one might not directly apply to you, it can injure those who work on your car. If the engine cooling fan blades don’t work properly, it can cause severe burns to mechanics.
If you were in an accident caused by a defective auto part, contact an attorney, as you might be able to file a claim against the manufacturer.
Contact Defective Auto Parts Attorneys
If you or a loved one was injured due to a product liability issue, contact the attorneys at Gallagher & Kennedy at 602-530-8400. We care about our clients and are committed to using our skills, work ethic, and resources to help you or your family obtain compensation and justice.
Our Phoenix personal injury attorneys understand the intricacies of product liability law, and the important safety changes that such cases enable. No matter what type of auto defect caused or contributed to your recent accident, contact a Phoenix auto defect attorney to help you hold the at-fault party accountable.