Bill’s courtroom and litigation experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants brings a fresh perspective and provides a significant advantage to his clients, which is one of the reasons he is retained again and again to prosecute and defend the most complex and challenging of matters. He consistently crafts persuasive written work product, and when called to argue in court, he simply and effectively delivers. Outside of the courtroom, Bill possesses an innate ability to establish resolution where other lawyers could not through his effective negotiation skills and his composed yet steadfast commitment to understanding his client’s unique objectives, resources, and long-term goals.
When defending the rights of plaintiffs, Bill’s experience involves large-scale class action prosecution of claims for securities fraud, consumer fraud, professional liability, aiding and abetting liability, and qui tam cases, among others. He is appreciated for devising unique, fact-driven arguments that, when combined with his vast understanding of the substantive legal issues, result in persuading opposing counsel, judges, and juries alike. At his best when collaborating with his colleagues or teams of lawyers across the country in multi-jurisdictional matters, Bill is valued for his analytical acumen, unwavering tenacity, and common-sense approach to understanding what are oftentimes case dispositive nuances and subtleties. See Bill’s profile on our main website.
Honors & Awards
- Southwest Super Lawyers®, Professional Liability: Defense, 2021-2023
- Southwest Super Lawyers®, Rising Stars, General Litigation, 2013-2018
- Phoenix Magazine, Top Lawyer, 2022
Community & Philanthropy
- St. Joseph the Worker, Board of Directors, 2009-2014
- Co-counsel for plaintiffs in consumer fraud class action against the nation’s largest provider of residential security systems resulting in a $16 million nationwide class action settlement.
Obtained dismissal of Chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee’s claims for conspiracy to commit fraudulent transfer leveled against Arizona law firm in United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Arizona.
- Secured seven-figure settlement in mass tort action lawsuit against owners and operators of mobile home park for alleged fraudulent omissions and representations.
- Successfully argued before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and obtained reversal of the District Court’s Rule 12(b)(6) dismissal of plaintiffs’ class action claims brought under Arizona’s Securities Act against directors and officers of an Arizona-based marketing company that previously published one of the largest in-flight catalogs.
- Co-counsel for plaintiffs in multi-state class action lawsuit arising out of a data breach at one of Arizona’s largest hospitals resulting in court-approved class action settlement.
- Second-chaired four (4) week jury trial in Mohave County Superior Court resulting in a defense verdict.
- Successfully briefed and argued Rule 12(b)(6) motion to dismiss alleging complex insurance coverage issues.
- Co-chair in three (3) week bench trial for limited partnership in complex quiet title action in Maricopa County Superior Court. The trial court awarded the limited partnership fee title to the commercial property, along with all of its attorneys’ fees. The court of appeals affirmed on all grounds.
- Obtained seven-figure settlement on behalf of plaintiff investors in mass action lawsuit filed against large, national banking association for the bank’s alleged role in aiding and abetting a $30 million Ponzi scheme.
- Defense Research Institute, Riding the E&O Line, Vol. 7., Issue 2, Legal Malpractice: The Burden of Proving Collectability of an Underlying Judgment, June 19, 2015
- Panelist, State Bar of Arizona 2016 Convention, Triad of Trouble: The Chain Reaction among Bar Charges, Legal Malpractice Claims and Judicial Findings of Misconduct, 2016